Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Mom's Perspective

You've heard a brother's and a father's perspective, naturally, here is a mother's perspective:

A Mom's Perspective

I knew when Ben started talking about taking time off from school to hike the Appalachian Trail that he was serious. He had planned out how much money it would take, how long it would take him, and the equipment he would need for this hike. Jim and I talked about it and agreed that the time was right for him to go. It quickly became fascinating to me and closely watched and listened to Ben as he planned. As the time grew closer the weather was unusually warm for the end of February and I had this feeling he would be leaving soon. And he did. February 26 Jim and I drove him to Amicalola Falls where I took lots of pictures of his beginning hike. While Ben was registering as an official thru-hiker I walked outside to the beginning of the trail to take more pictures and as I looked at the sign that read Spring Mtn. to Katahdin, Maine 2,188 miles tears came to my eyes as I realized it would be a long time before I would see him and that he would probably be greatly affected by this journey. As I hugged him goodbye I wanted to cry but held it back. I was truly happy and excited for him. I was very happy that Matthew would be hiking the first few days with him and that he would not be alone.

All I could think of every day was Ben on the trail. Where was he, what was he seeing, what was he eating, how did he feel and who was he meeting. He didn’t have great cell phone service so I was thrilled when we did get a call from him. I was telling Ben that God would be so glad when he finished this hike because he was sick of the constant prayers he was getting from me and lots of others. lol. That was all I knew to do - pray. I looked at maps and the trail guide book which became new reading material for me every day. Jim was also consumed with these thoughts as well. Every night we tried to figure out where he might be. A friend of mine, whose husband had hiked the A.T., told me it would be this way but that it would get easier as time went along. She was right. It did get easier but the prayers continued and reading the material too. I’ve started reading books by people who have hiked the A.T. and can’t get enough about it.

I was so happy when he met up with some guys just before the Smoky Mountains. They hike about the same pace and get along very well. The Smokies were quite difficult and the weather was bad so I’m very thankful he had companions. They are still hiking together and have reached Pennsylvania now. His hiking buddies were going off trail to meet up with family for Easter and Jim was meeting Ben to hike with him for four days and celebrate Easter together. I’m so thankful he was able to do this. Jim left the trail and Ben hooked up with the guys the next day so they’re back on schedule. Of course, when Jim got home I quizzed him about how Ben. Is he thin? Did he look tired? Was he happy and still enjoying his adventure? Of course, I could tell by the tone is Ben’s voice that we was having the time of his life. I know Ben and he doesn’t want me to worry so he probably isn’t telling me everything like that he has seen rattlesnakes but that’s o.k. because that’s the kind of loving and caring son he is. He sent me a mother’s day card back by Jim. I can’t wait to open it next Sunday. I am so blessed to have my wonderful sons and husband. I love them very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment