Saturday, February 12, 2011

Blog Started/Last Minute Gear Debates

     I've never done a blog before, so you'll have to forgive me if this isn't the typical blogging.  I have been drawing up some of my final preparations for the hike the past few weeks.  My pack after countless packings and repackings is down to 19.5 lbs dry weight (meaning without food or water) which is right where I want to be.  I was aiming for under 20 lbs so I'm feeling pretty good right now about the pack situation.
     Today I compared my MSR pocket rocket stove to an alcohol stove made out of coke cans that was given to me by Doug Riddle, a 2003 AT thru hiking veteran.  The alcohol stove is super cool and super light but it is not quite as hot as the MSR stove burns.  I can't quite decide which to take. Also, I'm trying to decide if I should take yak tracks with me but I'm just not sure what to expect with the weather. (yak tracks are basically chains for your shoes that help you to walk on snow and ice).
     Aside from gear debates, I have been compulsively reading and planning for the trip.  It's not that I'm worried, I am just ready to go now.  Not being in school can make me feel unproductive so it is easy to consider leaving to hike the trail so that I am not just waiting for March 1st to come.  But I know that it would be very unwise to start the hike now with the weather that usually occurs in February.  Patience is a virtue right?
     And so in the famous words of Vincent Tsai in 2008, signing off Ben Stephenson.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're blogging this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I'm looking forward to following your blog! Good luck with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited this is happening!! I hope you can keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you created a map of your potential route?
    Love to see you scan and post that on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Ben, do you have a goal of so many miles a day? What I would like to do is figure when you will be at a certain bench mark on certain days. For instance when you will get to North Carolina? Or Virginia?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ben, I go to church with Matt and Lauren. I have to say that I am very jealous that you have the opportunity to thru hike. I will be following you online & you will be in my prayers. I look forward to tips so I can do a thru hike in a few years :-)

    ReplyDelete